Sunday, September 11, 2011

We ain't no PUNKin' Ale

Today's batch falls on two important dates. One I won't mention by name but today is the 10th anniversary of the day someone tried to break the American will and failed. This truly is a great nation and I salute anyone and everyone who puts their life on the line for their fellow man.

Today is also the start of the football season for the 2011-12 season.
So reflecting on the sacrifices of others and the great American past time we all know and love I have dubbed this brew: We Ain't No PUNKin Ale!

This brew is an extract kit from AHS and here is the basic recipe:

Recipe:
1/2 lb Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Cara Munich Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L Malt
3 cans of 365 Pumpkin from Whole Foods
6 lb Extra Pale Extract
1 lb Munich Extract
1 oz. Kent Golding
Pumpkin Spice Pack (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Orange Peel)

Yeast:
WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Brew Day 9/11/11:
I added 3 cans of pumpkin to the muslin bag and steeped with the crushed grains for 30 min.
I got the wert to boil and added the extract. I let that get to a good boil before adding the hops and 1 can of pumpkin. I used 1/2 oz of UK Kent Goldings and the can of pumpkin in a nylon bag. I've used the nylon bag for 4 batches now. I recommend using nylon to save some cash. Just remember to clean them good. I added the Irish Moss at this time too. I used a tsp of it and sprinkled it around the chiller.
I added the other 1/2 oz of hops with 10 min left. I then added the spick pack with 5 min left.
I hit the OG right on the money with the kit's instructions.
OG READING: 1.052 at 79 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment